Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My new mantra...

My new mantra is "Collaboration, not self-reliant isolation".  I need to drill it into my head what it really means to be part of a team.  I am sure I will be reminded along the way, especially if I keep asking my advisor, "Is it okay to use that?"  :)


****
Yesterday, we met with a high-school MERITS student (www.msgc.org/programs/precollege/MERITS.php) and talked about her joining our project for the summer.  She would work on developing the social implications / human impact component of the project.  Now we wait to hear if she will join us.

****
Jenny is about to wrap up the semester, so I want to make sure she has an end project (at the minimum an outline, but hopefully a presentation).

****
Next, I need to start working on the assessment of the project.  There are two pieces that I want to assess:
1. For the modules we test in the schools, do the students learn, what do they learn, and to what extent?
2. The learning process of the team and its members on the project.

These blogs in-part will address the second item, but I want to make sure there is supporting evidence (those fun stats) of the learning for both pieces.  This is something I know I will speak more to Annette about.  Dr. Chai also recommended that I email Molly Schauffler of the Climate Change Institute and Walter Harris at the Center for Research and Evaluation.  I think our assessment needs are simpler in nature than those typical of educational studies.  I want to ask them if there are any basic standard assessment/evaluation designs that would fit our needs, and that I could administer and not necessarily have to pay for someone else to do.   SurveyMonkey here I come!

****
Oh, and remember to see if Blogger has a tracking/reporting feature.

No comments: