Stories traditionally are conveyed orally, in a written format, or artistic medium. I actually have the chance to use all three to tell the Arabian Sea story, thanks to my advisor. If you haven't seen it before, check out the COSEE Ocean Systems website. Here concept mapping is interactive- allowing the user to choose her/his own path through the story. I liken this Concept-Linked Integrated Media Builder (CLIMB) to an educational choose your own adventure.

So through the COSEE OS Concept Map Builder (CMB), I upgraded my storyline into a working concept map. CMB allows one to designate specific concepts, link concepts together, and narrate the connections. My concept map is a work in-progress; on the right is a recent version from the other day. The cool part comes after linking my concepts (the colored boxes) to concepts already existing in COSEE OS. All of a sudden my map comes alive. Now when one clicks on one of my concepts boxes, the library of images, videos, new articles, and resources in COSEE OS related to that specific concept appears.
For my project, I get to go one step further. I am able, and have created my own concepts with in COSEE OS. Right now I am in the process of designating which images, videos, etc I want associated with my particular concepts. This will allow my concept map to show only stuff related to the story of the Arabian Sea, as opposed to everything in the COSEE library. Another privilege I have is that I can add new media to the library. Finding good media is not as easy as it sounds. Yes, there is the internet, but it is amazing what unusable stuff you find, as well as what is missing. I added my first image (of cyclone Gonu) and wrote a description for it. Researching (I had to learn about the cyclone) and writing the blurb took me half a day! The sheer amount of time it took astonished me. I have also added my first animation, but more on that later.
No comments:
Post a Comment